Friday, February 7, 2014

WHY THE UNICORN???

Why the unicorn?  I wanted to create a background for this blog that best symbolizes my three year old son, Caden.  I thought about Winnie the Pooh. You see, from the time I found out I was pregnant with the triplets back in 2010, Caden has been my "Pooh Bear".  But Pooh, although cute and cuddly like Caden, does not portray the fighter in him.  Caden has a strength like no one I have ever known.  As his name translates, he is a "warrior".  He has endured and persevered through more in his short life than most do in a lifetime.

Would a warrior best symbolize my son then? Possibly, but my vision of a warrior lacks the compassion, gentleness and kindness which Caden possesses.  He is beautiful with a pure heart.  Caden brings a sense of tranquility to an otherwise crazy world.  His life is a gift to all who know him or have had the opportunity to meet him.

I then remembered what one of Caden's many doctors once said to us.  He told us that there are a few people who fit into a medical category so unique they've been labeled "medical unicorns".  These few individuals are mysteries to even the best doctors.  Caden is our "unicorn".  He has been passed around from doctor to doctor, hospital to hospital, in search of answers; in search of a diagnosis that ties all of his medical conditions together.  It is impossible to think that one little boy can carry so many symptoms with so many different health issues and not have something to explain it all.  Some of the best doctors in the world have said they "have never seen a child like Caden before".  Or as his doctor who first labeled him a medical unicorn once said, "Caden, like a unicorn, is almost mystical; a mythological being".

So when I found this picture of the unicorn it just made sense.  A unicorn is strong, brave, stoic and proud, yet gentle, kind and beautiful.  Caden is all of this and more.

If you are wondering what to expect from this blog, I can not honestly tell you.  I will write what is on my mind at the time but carry in my heart always.  My posts may be simple, random thoughts or quotes  I find inspiring.  You will see pictures and receive updates on how Caden is doing, both the highs and the lows.  I promise to keep a sense of humor.  For those of you who have a chronically ill or special needs child, you know that a sense of humor is how we survive each struggle, each set back and each and every day.

I have become an advocate for my son.  This was a long, hard process.  When his medical conditions first came to light I felt scared, helpless and alone.  I did not know how to best help Caden and had no idea who I could turn to for answers.  I am hoping to help other parents find the strength and courage to advocate for their children.  I am hoping to meet others, like me, because having a special needs child separates you from the "norm" and can leave you feeling lost and alone.

But mostly, I am writing to help my son tell HIS story,  This is his journey and I am just along for the ride.  A ride so scary I want to get off at times but know I can't.  A ride which has given my life purpose and defined who I am.  A ride we will take together as a family and although it may never end, we will cherish every up and persevere through every down.

Thank you for being a part of his world and for coming along for the ride.  I assure you, Caden's journey will simply amaze you.


2 comments:

  1. This is beautiful....

    ReplyDelete
  2. He is a beautiful unicorn. Look forward to reading your updates Jill. Xxoo

    ReplyDelete