Monday, February 10, 2014

ONE and DONE?



Next time I make a request, remind me to be a bit more specific.  Don't get me wrong, I am the luckiest person in the world to be blessed with my triplets.  I just never thought I would be one of those people who could actually have her own reality show. 

Infertility controlled my life for ten years.  It encompassed my every thought, feeling and dream.  It played a big part in the failing of my first marriage.  I was bitter, jealous and angry.  When Matt and I married in 2008, we agreed to pursue having children for no more than one year.  I was afraid of losing my second husband to the perils of the infertility. 

One year later and with little hope left, we attempted one last round of IVF.  Two fertilized eggs were implanted, fingers were crossed and the endless two week wait began.  Then the call came.  We were pregnant.  It was very early in the pregnancy and I had miscarried once before, but finally there was hope.

I never wanted a big family.  Like most little girls I dreamt of marrying my Prince Charming, having two "perfect" children, and spending summers dinking lemonade on my front porch swing.  As years of infertility changed those dreams, I realized that having just one precious child would be more than enough for me.  I was in my late thirties and my husband was pushing forty.  We both worked full time and as public school teachers.  Money was tight.  Financially, having one healthy child just made the most sense.

At my six week check up we were told I was pregnant with twins.  More than I bargained for but I would finally have my "perfect" little family.  Eight weeks later, we were told the one egg split and that there were three tiny heartbeats.  TRIPLETS....seriously?  Apparently, the Man upstairs thought "One and done" meant one pregnancy rather than one baby. 

My pregnancy wasn't easy.  If it's possible to be allergic to being pregnant, I most definitely was.  I developed an unexplained rash, severe heartburn, pre-eclampsia, and I vomited daily.  I ended up going into labor at 26 weeks and was put on hospital bed rest to try to keep the little ones in.  I made it to just over thirty weeks.  Welcome to the world Emily Hope (2 lbs. 8 oz.), Ethan John (2 lbs. 3 oz.) and Caden Christopher (3 lbs. 4 oz.)


Easter 2011 (8 months old)

I will continue to "catch" you up on how Caden's story began, but also want to share Caden's life as it is today.  I decided to write his "Can't" and "Can" list.  Parents of special needs children hear the word "can't" all too often.  It's frustrating to constantly hear doctors say "We can't do much about
this" or therapists say "He can't do this, but maybe somday...".  Trust me, we know what our children can and can't do.  Caden will be three and a half at the end of February and here's his "Can't" and "Can" list:

CADEN CAN'T:

Roll over
Sit up
Stay in a sitting position without falling over
Crawl
Walk
Talk
Eat food by mouth without gagging, retching or vomiting
Go a day without vomiting
Sleep through the night without waking up in pain
Chase his brother and sister around the house
See very well or track consistently
Hold his head up with control
Pick up his pacifier when it falls out of his mouth

In fact, physically, Caden CAN'T do much but...


CADEN CAN:

Smile so big it lights up the sky
Laugh a belly laugh that will make you cry
See his mommy and daddy's face
Understand the world around him
Dream
Think
Listen
Hope
Communicate "yes" by raising his left arm
Cry to let us know he's in pain, hungry or tired
Hug (with a little help)
Say "YEAH" when he's super excited

But most of all....Caden can LOVE.

Caden is the happiest toddler I know.  Despite everything he goes through on a daily basis, he rarely complains.  We are very lucky.  Caden shows, expresses and understands emotion.  I couldn't imagine not being able to see his smile or hear his infectious laugh.

Here's a short video montage of Caden's smile and laugh:

http://youtu.be/YlYRdkuDNxM

1 comment:

  1. I enjoy every visit when Cadens laugh makes me laugh so hard I almost cry. His laugh is infectious.

    ReplyDelete